1902 Encyclopedia > Aqueduct > Ancient Roman Aqueducts Outside of Italy

Aqueduct
(Part 6)




Ancient Roman Aqueducts Outside of Italy

Among aqueducts outside of Italy, constructed in Roman times and existing still, the most remarkable, next to the Pont du Gard at Nismes [Nîmes] already described, are –

(1.) The aqueduct bridges at Segovia and Tarragona in Spain, the former being 2400 feet long, with 159 arches of greatly admired masonry, in two tiers, and reaching the height of 102 feet. The bridge at Tarragona is 876 feet long, and 83 feet high.

(2.) At Mayence are the ruins of an aqueduct 16,000 feet long, and carried on from 500 to 600 pillars. Similar witnesses of Roman occupation are to be seen in Dacia, Africa, and Greece.

Metz Aqueduct Remains image

Remains of the Aqueduct of Metz (France)


(3.) The aqueduct at Metz (figured on Plate IV.), which originally extended across the Moselle, here very broad, conveyed to the city an abundance of excellent water from Gorsa. From a large reservoir at the source of the aqueduct the water passed along subterranean channels built of hewn stone, and sufficiently spacious for a man to walk in them upright. Similar channels received the water after it had crossed the Moselle by this bridge, at the distance of about 6 miles from Metz, and conveyed it to the city. The bridge consisted of only one row of arches. The middle arches have given way under the force of the river, but the others are still perfectly solid.

Aqueduct near Antioch image

Aqueduct near Antioch (modern Antakya, Turkey)


(4.) On Plate III. is figured one of the principal bridges of the aqueduct of Antioch, 700 feet long, and at the deepest point 200 feet high. The lower part consists almost entirely of solid wall, and the upper part of a series of arches with very massive pillars. The masonry and design are rude. The water supply was drawn from several springs at a place called Battelma, about 4 or 5 miles from Antioch. From these separate springs the water was conducted by channels of hewn stone into a main channel, similarly constructed, which traversed the rest of the distance, being carried across streams and valleys by means of arches or bridges.

Mytilene Aqueduct image

Remains of Aqueduct in the island of Mytilene (Greece)


(5.) At the village of Morea, about an hour’s distance N.W. from the town of Mytilene, is the bridge of an aqueduct, figured on Plate III. The water-course is carried above massive pillars built of large hewn blocks of grey marble, and connected by means of three rows of arches, of which the uppermost is of brick. The bridge extended about 500 feet in length, and at the deepest was from 70 to 80 feet high. Judged by the masonry and the graceful design, it has been thought to be a work of the age of Augustus. Remains of this aqueduct are to be seen at Larisson Lamarousia, an hour’s distance from Morea, and at St. Demetri, two hours and a half from Ayasso, on the road to Vasilika.






Read the rest of this article:
Aqueduct - Table of Contents





Search the Encyclopedia:



About this EncyclopediaTop ContributorsAll ContributorsToday in History
Sitemaps
Terms of UsePrivacyContact Us



© 2005-17 1902 Encyclopedia. All Rights Reserved.

This website is the free online Encyclopedia Britannica (9th Edition and 10th Edition) with added expert translations and commentaries