1902 Encyclopedia > China > Chinese Provinces (8) - Che-keang [Zhejiang]

China
(Part 14)




C. GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF CHINA PROPER

Province 8: Che-keang [Zhejiang]


The province of Che-keang is bounded on the N. by the province of keang-soo, on the E. by the sea, on the S. by the province of Fuh-keen, and on the W. by the provinces of keang-se and Gan-hwuy. It occupies an area of about 36,000 square miles, and contains a population of 21,000,000. With the exception of a small portion of the great delta plain, which extends across the frontier from the province of Keang-soo, and in which are situated the famous cities of Hoo-Chow, Kea-hing, Hang-chow, Shaouhing, and Ning-po, the province forms a portion of the Nan-shan of south-eastern China, and is hilly throughout. The Nan-shan ranges run though the centre of the province from S.W. to N.E., and divide it into a northern portion, the greater part of which is drained by the Tseen-tang-keang, and a southern portion which is chiefly occupied by the Ta-che basin. The valleys enclosed between the mountain ranges are numerous, fertile, and for the most part of exquisite beauty. The hilly portion of the province furnishes large supplies of tea, and in the plain which extends along the coast, north of Ningpo, a great quantity of silk is raised. In minerals the province is poor. Coal and iron are occasionally met with, and traces of copper ore are to be found in places, but none of these minerals exist in sufficiently large deposits to make mining remunerative. The principal cities are Hang-chow and the Treaty Port of Ning-po, In the foreign trade returns for Ning-po for 1874 the value of the imports during the year is described as having been £2,565,179, and that of the exports as £2,337,948. Among the latter articles we find team silk, cotton, dried cuttle fish, paper fans, straw hats, and medicines occupying the most prominent positions. The principal import was opium, the value of which alone amounted to £1,129,668. Cotton piece goods, annexed to which stands the next largest figure, were imported to the value of £430,692. Opposite Ning-po, at a distance of about 50 miles, lies the Island of Chusan, the largest of a group bearing that general name. This island is 21 miles long, and is about 50 miles in circumference. It is very mountainous, and is surrounded by numerous islands and islets. On its south side stands the walled town of Ting-hai, in front of which is the principal harbour. The population is returned as being 50,000.






Read the rest of this article:
China - Table of Contents





Search the Encyclopedia:



About this EncyclopediaTop ContributorsAll ContributorsToday in History
Sitemaps
Terms of UsePrivacyContact Us



© 2005-17 1902 Encyclopedia. All Rights Reserved.

This website is the free online Encyclopedia Britannica (9th Edition and 10th Edition) with added expert translations and commentaries