NEWHAVEN (anciently MEECHING), a seaport of Sussex, is situated on the English Channel near the mouth of the Ouse, and on a branch of the Loudon, Brighton, and South Coast Railway, 56 miles south from London, 6 miles south of Lewes, and 8A- east of Brighton. The village, which is distant about half a mile from the sea, is clean and well built, but is little more than a shipping station, although it possesses a small shipbuilding yard, flour-mills, and a brewery celebrated for its Tipper ale. The church of St Michael, which has a Norman square embattled tower surmounted by a spire, was restored in 1854. The cliffs in the neighbourhood of the port are about 200 feet in height, and Castle Hill, formerly a military encampment, is very strongly fortified. A harbour was first granted to Newhaven in 1713, and during the early part of the 18th century it possessed a large shipping trade. This afterwards declined, but within the last forty years has again revived, and it is now one of the principal points of communication between England and France. The roadstead is one of the finest on the whole coast of England. The extensive additions being made to the dock accommodation are expected to give a great impetus to the trade of the port. The limits of the port after January 1, 1882, are defined by the Customs Consolidated Act of 1876. The total number of vessels in the foreign and colonial trade in 1882 was - entered 901 of 204,106 tons, cleared 881 of 197,327 tons. In the same year the vessels engaged in the coasting trade were - entered 224 of 36,309 tons, cleared 224 of 35,929 tons. Steamers ply daily to and from Dieppe in connexion with the Western Railway of France. With France there is also a large traffic in wines, spirits, silk, and general provisions. The coasting trade consists chiefly of imports of coal and provisions, the exports being principally timber for shipbuilding and flint for the Staffordshire potteries. The population of Newhaven (area 906 acres land and 184 acres water and foreshore), 2549 in 1871, had increased in 1881 to 4009.