Haifa, a coast town of Palestine, situated at the foot of Mount Carmel, on the south side of the bay of Acre. Its roadstead is protected from south and west winds, and the town, from its more favorable position, is attracting much of the trade of Acre. A railway to Damascus has been commenced, and it is proposed to construct a port. If these works are completed, Haifa will become the most important port on the coast of Syria. The German colony of "Templars," established near the town in 1869, has been the means of greatly increasing its prosperity. In 1900 the exports, cereals and oil, were valued at £178,738. The population numbered 12,000 (Germans 500, Moslems 6000, Christians 4000, Jews 1500). About 2 miles north-west of Haifa is the celebrated Carmelite monastery. (C. W. W.)
The above article was written by Major-General Sir Charles William Wilson, R.E., K.C.B., K.C.M.G., D.C.L., LL.D., F.R.S.; secretary to North American Boundary Commission, 1858-62; surveys of Jerusalem and Palestine, 1864-66; survey of Sinai, 1868-69; British Commissioner Servian Boundary Commission, 1878-79; Consul-Gen. Anatolia, 1879-82; served in Egypt, 1882-83; Nile Expedition, 1884-85; Director-Gen. Ordnance Survey, 1886-94; Director-Gen. of Military Education, 1895-1898; President Geographical Section, British Association, Belfast, 1874; Bath, 1888; author of Notes to Ordnance Survey of Jerusalem, From Korti to Khartum, Life of Lord Clive, Murray's Handbooks to Constantinople and Asia Minor.