1902 Encyclopedia > Newton Abbot and Newton Bushell

Newton Abbot and Newton Bushell




NEWTON ABBOT AND NEWTON BUSHELL, situated respectively in the parishes of Wolborough and Highweek, and separated by the small river Lemon, are generally included under the one name Newton Abbot, a market-town of Devonshire, England, on the Teign, 5 miles south by west of Teignmouth, and 6 north of Torquay. The beauty of the neighbouring scenery and the salubrity of the climate have tended of late years to increase the demand for residences, while the situation of the town at the head of the Teign navigation enables it to carry on a consideration shipping trade. St Mary’s, the parish church of Wolborough, about half a mile south of the town, is in the Perpendicular style, as is also the parish church of Highweek’s about a mile to the north-west. A very extensive nunnery, called St Augustine’s Priory, was erected near the town in 1861. To the east of the town in 1861. To the east of the town is Forde House, an Elizabethan structure belonging to the earl of Devon, visited by Charles I. and William of Orange. The other principal buildings are the union workhouse, the town-hall, and the markets. There are two pos-parks Courtenay Park and Forde Park. The town possesses iron foundries, malt-houses, flour-mills, a tannery, and a brewery. The engine-works of the Great Western Railway have lately been established in the town. Fine potters’ clay and pipeclay are obtained in the neighbourhood, about 6000 tons being exported annually to the potteries. There is a considerable trade in cattle, corn, and agricultural produce. The population of Wolborough with Newton Abbot in 1881 was 7662, and of Highweek 2164.

Probably both Newton Abbot and Newton Bushel were originally included under Nuietone. Newton Abbot was given to the abbot of Tor by William Lord Brewer, founder of the monastery. Newton Bushel was so called from Robert Bushell, foster,-child and kinsman of Theobald de Englishville, who was made lord of the minor by Henry III. in 1246.



Search the Encyclopedia:



About this EncyclopediaTop ContributorsAll ContributorsToday in History
Sitemaps
Terms of UsePrivacyContact Us



© 2005-17 1902 Encyclopedia. All Rights Reserved.

This website is the free online Encyclopedia Britannica (9th Edition and 10th Edition) with added expert translations and commentaries